Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Alpaca Wrap

I worked on this wrap for several hours last night. I finished the suggested number of rows and I realized that there was a lot of yarn left on the ball. I stretched it and discovered that it is not wide enough. What could be the problem? Correct number of rows (minus the three garter row border), not wide enough, plenty of yarn???? Could the pattern be wrong? Needles? Never thought to check needles before beginning. Why should I? My sister gave me this project all in a nice Ziploc bag for me to complete for her (She did not like the fuzz produced from the 100% Alpaca). Now the hunt is on for a needle gauge. The pattern says US 8. They don't look like US 8. But it is 12 midnight, nothing looks quite right anyway. I have been working hard to complete this project. I want to pile my FO and start on new yarn, new designs. This yarn has been sitting for 13 months and two people, to turn into a wonderful, warm wrap. Now where is my new needle gauge?? I just got it at Stitched East. from www.debrasgarden.com. I look in my closet with all of my jewelry, no luck. I look on my bedside table, no luck. Go back to my closet and under a postcard my needle gauge. My eyes search for the little laser etched number 8. There it is. Before I even poke my needle thru I know that the needle in my hand is not an 8. I carefully insert my shinny silver Addi turbo needle perfectly in to the hole marked....6. A perfect fit! Since this is the first time I have used my Nautilus needle gauge, it was a beautiful moment to this functional tool turned art work return to a functional purpose. WHAT?!?! 6? Six? No this can't be. I look at the pattern instructions again and back to the needle. I just spent all weekend and the beginning of this week trying to finish a wrap---that I didn't even buy, and I will return to the owner---that the entire time I have been knitting on the wrong size needle. I will not frog this. Remain calm. Put the wrap down. Put the point protectors on the end, and go to bed. You will figure this out in the morning. Well I did figure it out, complete as many more rows as possible before running out of yarn, wash, block, wear (once), photograph and give it to its rightful owner.

No comments: