Monday, November 10, 2008

Back from Stitches East

Once again the hand knit world has proven amazing to me. I have learned new techniques, met individual I want to keep up with (and others I don't) and I found out that there are some that I knew but don't ever care to talk to again. All of this wealth of info at a knitting conference! I did not take pictures of fellow knitters like I thought I would. I just didn't think that would be fair. I am not Clinton or Stacy, so I kept my comments to myself or my sister. I will take pictures of my newest collection of yarn! Ohh the colors. Angora. Quivit. Wool. Silk. Roving.

I will not talk about the unpleasantries, just the good stuff. I don't think there were as many knitters this year as last. And I doubt that I will be going to Stitches East next year because it is in Hartford, Ct. And man that place sounds COLD! Maybe I should go just to experience the Northeast. However XRX book and Stitches presented Stitches South in Atlanta, Ga. Now that is more my speed! In April too!!!! I just have a lot of knitting to do to prove to Tony that all of my shopping was worth it!

I want to share my thoughts with USAirways. They charge you for luggage, so 3/4 of the people try to 'carry-on' all they they can so they will not be charged. At that point all of the overhead bins become full requiring passengers to stop and have their luggage turned in for gate check in. After a few minutes of this the jetway staff begin to worry that the flight will not depart on time and begin to get snippy with the customers waiting to board the plane. This entire delay is all based on the greediness of the airlines.
Let me talk about the airports and the TSA. A closed full bottle of water is not allowed to pass thru TSA security. You can purchase a bottle of water from the many newsstands on your way to you plane for $2.35 (Charlotte-Douglas International Airport). You can purchase one from your in-air infomerical hostess for $2.00. This same bottle of water could cost you less than $.50 if purchased at a discount store on sale, or even with a coupon. One of my two most recent infomercial hostess was just about one of the worst individuals in any customer service industry. Are they really that unhappy with their jobs that they procede to try to make everyone elses day miserable? I was sternly informed that my bag's strap needed to be removed from the aisle, granted I was trying to reach my wallet that was in my bag to pay for the $2.00 CranApple drink! After I heard her raise her voice to another passenger for not giving correct change, I thougt that getting the $2.00 from my wallet might warrant a 'thank you' but no such luck.
I am all for airport security, but how is it that you can't take fingernail clippers but a 14" set on knitting needles seems like a fine object to fly with. In a flight I took just over a year ago I got on the plane with a small scissors. Where is the consistancy need to truely make our sky safe? A lighter OK, nail clippers NOT? Is it just me or are some of the regulations stupid?
I just heard a commedian say something like this.....The Department of Homeland Security issues daily treat levels--- these are useless because most americans have no idea what they mean and what to do. And since 9-11 we have been at yellow or orange. Daily some terriorist wants to kill us so why even have green? We are always in some danger.
I have made this decision; if I can get somewhere in 6 hours by car than it is not worth airlines, airports or the TSA.

No comments: